Have you received your check from HITECH and ARRA stimulus yet? Many will, starting in 2011…
The CMS and ONC are getting ready for the first checks to be issued to those early adopters and implementers of EHR technology in 2011. As the initial registration date comes on the 3rd of the new year— and while there has been much turmoil leading up to these first payments, we can rest assured that these past few months of rushing to establish certifications for a very healthy list of EHRs were not in vain. While the effectiveness of the Meaningful Use rules may still be in question, the key remains that those who have taken the financial burden upon themselves, for implementation of an EHR of their choosing, will, in-fact, realize compensation per the guidelines established in the HITECH act. So we can look forward to a flood of entrants into the EHR and thus NHIN realm. This will give way to a steady, more organized development of the standards and regulations for the quality of the technology in interoperable and general functionality. Some of the key dates to look forward to in 2011 are as taken from a recent press release provided by the CMS.
- Jan. 3, 2011 – Registration for the Medicare EHR incentive program begins.
- Jan. 3, 2011 –States that are ready may launch their incentive programs for Medicaid providers.
- January 2011 – Some state agencies begin issuing Medicaid EHR incentive payments.
- April 2011 – Attestation for the Medicare EHR incentive program begins.
- May 2011 – Issuing of Medicare EHR incentive payments expected to begin.
- July 3, 2011 – Last day for eligible hospitals to begin their 90-day reporting period to demonstrate meaningful use for the Medicare EHR incentive program for federal FY 2011.
- Sept. 30, 2011 – Federal FY 2011 payment year ends at midnight for eligible hospitals and critical access hospitals (CAHs).
- Oct. 3, 2011 – Last day for eligible professionals to begin their 90-day reporting period for calendar year 2011 to demonstrate meaningful use for the Medicare EHR incentive program.
- Nov. 30, 2011 – Last day for eligible hospitals and CAHs to register and attest to receive an incentive payment for federal fiscal year 2011.
- Dec. 31, 2011 – Calendar 2011 payment year ends for eligible professionals.
So what can you do to make sure you meet all of your registration deadlines?
Register with EMR Consultant or Ready 4 EHR and we will connect you with the information you need to manage your implementation and get your check. Our consultants will be able to walk you through the most difficult issues that physicians and practice managers will face in implementation. Our founders have been in the health information technology industry and electronic health records consulting since before HITECH and ARRA were even enacted. The EHR Scope network can connect you with the best EHR implementation strategies and software, custom tailored to your practice. If you are still on the fence about these issues, know that the rules and guidelines for meeting Meaningful Use are stacked in favor of the early adopters. If you really want to make the most out of your EHR implementation, let us connect you with the best EHR vendors and their leading medical records software solutions.