A network is a group of computer systems that are all connected.
There are several different types of computer networks:
- local-area networks (LANs): The computers are located within the same building, therefore, close to one another.
- wide-area networks (WANs): The computers are linked by telephone lines or radio waves because they are further apart.
- campus-area networks (CANs): The computers are located within a specific area, such as a campus or military base.
- metropolitan-area networks (MANs): This is a network designed for a town/city.
- home-area networks (HANs): Contained within a user’s home and links the users digital devices.
Using an EHR, your practice must have a network to link all of the computers. You must determine what is the best type of network to install based on the size of your practice.
Other pieces of hardware you need to consider when installing a network are: